A Shared Vision Brought to Life
It was the vision of Dr. J.T. Edwards, Pastor of Culpeper Baptist Church, to create a Christ-centered home to care for Virginia’s aging adults.
Dr. Edwards’ dream was realized in 1945 when the Baptist General Association of Virginia voted to authorize the establishment of a new ministry for seniors, and LifeSpire of Virginia, an independent nonprofit corporation, was born. Three years later, the first of four LifeSpire retirement communities opened its doors in Culpeper, Virginia.
The Millman house was given to LifeSpire in return for the care of Mrs. Carrie E. Millman and her daughter, Miss Louise W. Millman, and Miss Lillian Sweeney, Mrs. Millman’s sister. It served as a temporary location for LifeSpire and set the standard for outstanding care, programs, and services for seniors. In 1951, a beautiful new Georgian building was funded through statewide philanthropy and opened under Dr. Edwards’ direction; it is known today as The Culpeper.
Word spread quickly throughout Virginia about the exceptional care provided by this ministry. The attention and devotion residents received were second to none. Pastor Edwards’ vision of creating a faith-based ministry for senior adults had come to life.